Sunday, March 11, 2012

Break Out

It appears that my career has come full circle. CPA practice, Controller, CFO, Systems Implementor, Consultant, CFO, and back to a CPA practice - CFO Consultant. I have learned a great deal over my thirty year career. On the eve of a CFO conference and two days after resigning my position at Bubba Burger, I realize there are sacrifices to make in order to have an autonamous and interesting career.

The average tenure of a CFO with any given company is 3-5 years. I am not sure what happens at that point.  Maybe it is boredom once all challenges at the company are resolved.  Possibly the "fixing" is the thrill of the job, then it is time for the next opportunity.  A full time CFO runs its circle after 5 years.  This is no way to have a stable career.  On the other hand a CFO consultant always has new opportunities to "fix" a new client.

In any event - here I go at age 54 to start a CFO consultancy that includes typical CPA services "tax and accouting."  This blog is my calling card and will be filled with tips as time passes.  Thanks for taking the time to follow me.